Tuesday, March 22, 2011

N'dea Davenport - Placement 4 The Baby {1998}



This week as is everyday of life part of the journey...how we survive and thrive on the big planet and in our sanctified spaces and places is in direct correlation to faith in the wonder and the good that are to come, as well as, the fortitude we have to stand in that faith.

This truth is hard to remember, but as a woman or man thinketh so she or he is. I subscribe to the Western paradigm of "religion" firmly rooted in the Christianity taught in the New Testament, but understanding full well that without Moses, Abraham or the lineage of David there would be no Jesus.

So I am as much a Deuteronomy 31:6 girl "Be strong and courageous. Do not be afraid or terrified because of them, for the LORD your God goes with you; he will never leave you nor forsake you"; as I am Mark 11:23 girl "For verily I say unto you, That whosoever shall say unto this mountain, Be thou removed, and be thou cast into the sea; and shall not doubt in his heart, but shall believe that those things which he saith shall come to pass; he shall have whatsoever he saith."

Over the past few weeks in addition to God who is Love lifting me, the power of music has been as much my sustenance as food, water and my vitamins. I have listened to The Roots (How I Got Over), David Sanborn (As We Speak and Backstreet), Justin Timberlake (Justified (a mainstay)), Erykah Badu (Live) and a constant sprinkling of Kurt Elling's cover of "Steppin Out" for good measure...yesterday however I went for N'Dea Davenport and her self entitled solo album. It is for me her Magnum Opus.

"Placement for the Baby" was neither a released single nor was there a video. It is just an installment or what we affectionately called "an album cut" that makes the whole record sublime...ethereal even. This song is a lullaby for a child(ren) newly arrived and possibly yet to be born about finding their place in the world. It is part war song, "Ready or not go on and lead...dive on in there...(ad lib) 'Are you ready to go?' " N'Dea sticks the question repeatedly to us the listeners.

As we comfort the baby with this lullaby, I couldn't help but here my own (adult) call to action: "Are you ready to go...to the next phase of life?...Follow your heart...keep looking for the prize". She even sings to the baby, "I know you feel all alone and you want to scream and shout". I do...I am sure we all do...

I then remember...I have faith and I have fortitude and I have this song...so I gift it to you. You will at first be captivated by the voice very quickly healed by the lyrics, but most of all encouraged and commanded to

Go on...

God's Best to everybody and all who in love, light and words encourage me daily on the journey (shout out to my Starbucks crew (on both sides of the counter)...love and light to Pastor David Scott for always standing on the Word)

No comments: