Monday, March 16, 2009

Conversation Pieces


This is my conversation peace...

Facebook as many know is an awesome community of folks... some you know, some you don't and all of whom you are getting to know or are getting to know you ("hoping you like me")...I love it because as I once told someone it is a way to be in the conversation despite the miles between me and them (friends, loved ones, peers and colleagues) ...I also happen to love to talk (www.blogtalkradio.com/djdannak) and exchanging comments that become conversations is right up my alley.

Facebook consistently and persistently gives me the chance to put my best face forward. I tweet, but the level of engagement and connection offered by facebook is matchless....well matchless for having rich deep connections and conversations with people whom you've never met or seen and is not in the name of love, lust or dating...

The short conversation I had below with Bay Area friend Jacquinn Scales was a chance to express something that I often try to say to whomever will listen.

At the speed of life however we are all on to the next thing in 24 hours or less...having a medium to record these short exchanges or conversations as they were called before phones and internet allows someone like me to leave little legacies that have meaning beyond the "24 hours or less" ...so I turn to my blog-all things real the shelf life of a blog is 24-72 hours (even it is archived until the internet becomes obsolete, can you imagine what that day will look like or what might be next...at this moment I cannot). I am never that hard to please and 24-72 hours will suffice. All I pray to do is plant seeds that can and will grow...so today I am a gardner.

What appears below is Jacquinn's comment about a "status" I posted. I think Jacquinn was picking on me Sunday evening as he had commented earlier on a previous status...but when I received the thumbs up from him and an innocent bystander, another "Facebook Friend" and fellow Alum from Tuskegee commented later in the day on the conversation I thought...."I believe I will share" and so it is

My status read ....

Danna Lafaye Kiel just got caught up watching TI's Road to Redemption

and Tonya jumped in and then came Jacquinn and me

Tonya Hussein Michelle at 11:33pm March 15
I kind of really like that show.


Jacquinn Scales at 11:47pm March 15 via Facebook Mobile

Do you feel as though its kind of a shame that black influential people have to get into trouble before they seek to help the community? Ti and Road to redemption. Then Lil Kim who got in trouble and all of a sudden while in jail has this passion to want to help foster kids. What are your thought?

I think Jacquinn raises a thoughtful and provocative question...below was my answer


Danna Lafaye Kiel at 12:04am March 16

I believe it is what it is ....Here in America we live in a media influenced society that maintains an investment in a star system...I teach for a living and I used to work in records...large numbers seem to always be influenced by what a a very few do (how they live...what they sing about or rap about or in the case of actors the movies they make) so honestly I think its important that if the spotlighted few find an opportunity to use their powers for good and not evil and the change of heart or the revelation of the true heart is sincere and authentic then let it "do what it do" ...the rest of us are responsible for consistently doing our part (if it is our aim) to push the images and profiles of those who have honorable lives worthy of admiration, adoration and have the charisma to captivate and positively energize those in need of such influence and inspiration

Kelley Woods at 11:32am March 16
Well said Dana...I am loving your vibe on this one...It's a struggle out there...Stay with it!!...One Love

Jacquinn Scales at 1:11am March 16 via Facebook Mobile
Very insightful. I wasn't tryna imply that their efforts were phony or anything. I believe God uses folks for different reasons. Its just I wondered what your thoughts were because so many people say "Its a shame it took TI going to jail in order to serve you" and blah blah blah. Hell in my opinion he's making more of an impact with these kids ... Read More than some of these faith leaders and other so called black leaders. I recall being young once...I was in foster care sixteen years and went straight from that into the juvenile justice system and served for years in the California Youth Authority. A lot of things contributed to that that only a selected few could identify with my pain. TI doin a good job and I see him impacting more and more lives along with other megastars as well. S*** we all know government won't do anything on our behalf much less people like ********* so we need the TI's, david banners, Nas and others.


More seeds before I move onto the next backyard garden....

I believe that in the Obama Nation we currently live in and beyond there is work to be done and with Stimulus money trying to trickle down (4 Billion for Police forces (across the nation) and Gang Warfare Prevention)...those who have the strength, courage and the will should be working harder than ever to turn love into action...Love of God, self and country. When we truly love ourselves we will see, hear and think more clearly. We will believe our own dreams and work until they come true. We will speak the mother tongues of care and compassion. We will also do the work that needs to be from Watts to the Whitehouse to rebuild our nation, our world and her people....(do you hear the violins or the drums (the rim shot) or the 808 or horns (trumpet or sax) playing in the background? ...I do :-)

4 comments:

Boissiere said...

A deep and moving post. Your words so resonate as you speak from your heart and your soul.

A friend and classmate offered this insight," Many of us are looking for meaning in our professional lives. My advice is look for an opportunity to serve - power moves through those who serve."

Some of us must be humbled to lose that which is of the flesh to slow down long enough to follow that quest for meaning and purpose. Whatever the case, we are blessed that they have come to where they are.

I believe the "talented 10" failed at least one generation ago to meet the needs of the broader community. If hard luck and humility get (some of) us back on track, let's embrace the triumph. The truth is, none of us are doing enough. Walk down the streets of our neighborhoods and you see the manifestation of our collective "I-got-mine" mentality...

Unknown said...

Thanks Big "B" I was going for one idea and you of course elevated the conversation...by dropping more seeds...let's just keep watering and encouraging others to do so

LISA VAZQUEZ said...

Hi there!

I am on Twitter and FB but I haven't made use of the these tools to build relationships. It is so time-consuming to answer email and create blog content and moderate discussions! I don't know how all of you have the time to Tweet and FB-chat!! Whew!!

*smiles*

Lisa

MackDiva said...

I like this post. I agree -- to a certain extent -- that our stars should have a certain amount of accountability.

However, I, too, am vexed that it takes getting in trouble for some folks to get it together. I once told someone that churches need to stop taking money for building funds and start collecting bail money since everyone seems to find Jesus in jail.

I could be wrong, but I think of parents would stop trying to be their kids' friends and return to parenting, it would help our society out a lot. Just my thoughts...