Tuesday, May 6, 2008

I Can Do It At Work....Obama won North Carolina

I am happy to report that OBAMA took North Carolina and he is unfortunately trailing in Indiana (I am mad at Jeremiah Wright). I lead with this info because I went to bed worried that it wouldn't go like we wanted or needed...where we needed.

After my active class day was over I was anxious to get the info....when I went to my trusty CNN.com they were dealing with Indiana and it was bad news for me. They had no numbers or info on North Carolina. I went toYAHOO an hour later to retrieve an important email had a "breaking news" banner where I got the info I needed. "Obama Wins North Carolina !"

We are winning, but our momentum has taken a hit and we just need get steady again...we can and we will !!!!!

I entered this site through my job and found out that the filter is not too high and I can get in despite what I previously thought. It however is not my intention to spend the valuable time at work typing this blog....no matter how tempting....I am proud to be gainfully employed at a Charter School here in Los Angeles, CA and will not be risking me and my son's livelihood.

It is nice to know I can check it though. I also like to show my students the other possiblities of life on this side of higher education.

I just finished an afternoon tutoring session which unfortunately has become more of a hang out for my kids than tutoring. I am stil learning the system for and finding my rhythm inputting grades so my kids are actually doing well and I believe their geometry skill set may even match the grades they currently have in the system (lots of A's).

I struggle daily with focus issues. After a day of engaging and teaching students for 3 1.5 hour periods on a weekly block schedule it is all I can do to grade tests (which some teachers say I should have Volunteer TA do) and then input those grades to see if my kids are really learning.

A lot of them can return the information verbally, but they are all so distracted by what's on their ipod, who's chatting them on their sidekick or even some crazy video on You Tube.

It has however from September to May with 5 weeks left been a evolution of my growth as an educator and a person. With every new day their are tests and trials. I am a better person and striving to be the best mother for Ali through all of it.

I pray that I am not only teaching Geometry and Algebra, but touching their lives in other ways. I gave out Neopolitan Ice Cream today...what an experience. I don't think I will do it again. Some were so gracious and other ("bless their hearts") were so greedy.

Music has always been a flashpoint of connection for my students and I. I played my Raheem DeVaughn for them today. One of my students knew his single "Customer". I am always trying to bring in the closest thing to accessible real music. The competition is great when it comes to the music.

I also listened to a Superhero by the name of Fat Momma who visited the students today to talk to us all about bullying. She was great with her Doughnut superbelt. I will try to find a picture and upload it later.

I have a mountain of papers to grade and I am pushing for tomorrow. I struggle with focus after teaching. It is hard to settle down and stay energized. It has been teacher appreciation week. They have served breakfast goodies and lunch for us this week. Today we got travel mugs. I actually love travel mugs and was very proud and excited to get one. It's the little things that go a long way the older you get. I just christened it and I am taking it home to wash it among my mountain of dishes. I am however CONQUERING the mountain today.

Clearing trash and laundry is next.

I gotta stop hear........I am thrilled and exited to share with you !!!!

all love
djdannak

check me out at www.blogtalkradio.com/djdannak

No comments: