Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Black Star "You Already Knew"

Black Star "You Already Knew"

Black Star "You Already Knew" by BlackStar



Before I begin ...let's shout out Aretha's album, "Live at the Filmore West"...a CD I purchased one night in Tower on Sunset on a humbug...a truly amazing record..(its mos def a favorite...Spirits in the Dark)

I am excited because despite "Blogger" being an available "Share" option for Sound Cloud you couldn't share...there was always some weirdo error message that would come up and the blog just wouldn't happen...

I have nothing profound to say about the fact that it appears to be working properly now...except that I am excited that it is working properly now.

I am blogging about this song/single because I just watched Mos Def and Talib Kweli aka Black Star just perform it on Jimmy Fallon with the grace and ease that represents the Hip Hop I love ...



What's also interesting is that their profound gift and artistry are underscored by the fact that Mos Def is a devout Muslim and Talib Kweli associates with Islam's principles, but is not a devotee.  Further when I reflect on artists like these two and Q Tip of Tribe Called Quest and one of his partners from Tribe, Ali Shaheed Muhammed




or even the Muslim-Friendly Raphael Saadiq and D'Angelo who though not Muslim either were part of The Ummah along with Q-Tip, Ali Shaheed Muhammed and J Dilla (1974 - 2006), its three core members; these gentlemen have created amazing music over the years...LOVE'S MUSIC I will it and even after The Ummah disbanded in 1999 Q-Tip, Ali, Raphael and D'Angelo tended to be great collaborators ...Q-Tip's Grammy Nominated "Renaissance" album















"Ummah" is the word for community in Arabic and when I listen to the music of these cats, I feel like I am part of the community ...a community of LOVE's MUSIC...


Just remember...."You Already Knew..."

The Black Star Aretha Mixtape coming this summer... (that's what I heard)

No comments: